Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Rant.



With a rebel yell, I cry less Less LESS! Please, less. I can't deal with another holiday where my kids come home from school with bags of candy and toys that I have to pry out of their tear-stained hands when they break after 4 minutes of prying them out of their packaging. It's a waste of money and heaps our landfill with cheap junk from overseas and fosters a sense of entitlement in our children. I'm over it....
Ha! that turned into a cantankerous rant. And I meant to be so triumphant this morning! There's hope for me still because my friend, Khris Brown and I made these super-fun non-candy-bearing valentines with the kids. One for each monkey in their classes. And for the price of paper and a little jelly-bean fueled labor. They are delighted with them and I must admit that I'm feeling super-awesome about it.
Also - we recently had a birthday party for six-year-old Fin, with a jumpy-house and doughnuts and NO goodie bags. And guess what? They didn't even notice.

2 comments:

  1. i hear you...today the kids came home with so much candy and store bought crappy v-day cards...ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you loud and clear...ugghhh. Yet, my little guy was so excited to write out V-day cards for his classmate that I succumbed (sp?) but did not, and I repeat, did not include candy. He came home so proudly saying that his classmates didn't care that there wasn't a piece of candy attached because they thought his cards were cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.