Friday, November 5, 2010

A cry for help?

So, here's the thing: If my business grows just a teensy bit more, I'm going to need help. Or, right now. Actually, I probably should have hired someone like a month ago. This is good, right? Great even.
But, no. As usual, I am angst-ridden, undersleeping and overthinking. I have issues.
For example: Why can't I handle this myself? It's not as if this is a full-time job for me. It's just that with the mothering and the housekeeping, I'm fighting a war on three fronts. And losing. Other moms do this. And some of them have more kids than I do. Am I incompetent?
And: The last thing I want to do is hire out the sewing or the child care. Because those are the things I actually like (I'm undaunted by the fact that they tend to be mutually exclusive). I'd like to hire someone to do the errands and the laundry and tidy up a bit. Is that hireable? I'm thinking not.
Plus: I have an 8-page rant about the it's-so-hard-to-find-good-help set that I won't share with you right now. It pretty much boils down to never wanting to say the words, "It's so hard to find good help."
Also: It possible that I have a fear of success equal to or greater than my fear of failure. (Admittedly, that has been irrelevant so far.)
Furthermore: I suck at delegating. But that seems like a flaw worth fixing. (Unlike my persistent daydreaming and inability to accessorize, which don't seem worth doing anything about.)
A cry for help? So, if you're nice and you've ever gone through this and have great advice for me - gimme a shout. Or, even if you're just nice.

Beautiful photograph called "Brave" by Yvette Inufio.

3 comments:

  1. Deep breath ....
    It is fantastic that you're expanding your business.
    I would stop thinking in general terms ("this is not a full time job", "other moms do this" ...) and define specifically what you need to make the transition possible. You can find someone to help you with whichever chores you need, your future helper will have to accommodate to what you need, not the other way around. You are the boss!
    Obviously you want to make the change and your business means a lot to you. You have all the answers but you short circuit yourself by making it emotional instead of practical.
    You can do it, just hush all the extra voices and focus on what you need to make this possible.
    >inspirational music<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear! I'm just the nice one with no real advice except to say I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm not there yet with my business. I'm just starting into my second year but I can already see a tiny, tiny bit of a pick up in business. I have to admit it scares me a bit to see how much harder it is to work on the biz and all that entails (marketing, blogging, designing, producing, etc.), plus the housework, errands, school events, taking care of family, etc. Here I took this path so I could do what I love and be available for my son. All I can figure out is that sometimes SOMETHINGS GOT TO GIVE! We cannot do it all ALL of the time.

    I think Lambert said it brilliantly! Be practical and hire someone to do those things someone else can do like the housework, and errands. This will allow you a little more time to work on what you love which is your work and your family.

    And...CONGRATS ON GROWING YOUR BIZ...AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you my dear Tania and Laurent! Just what I needed! xoxoxo, R

    ReplyDelete

Do babble on in the most animated language you can muster. I love hearing from you.